8.09.2012

Getting the facts

The past few weeks have been enlightening for me. I have run into a few people who I've shared my struggle with and they have filled me in on their tricks to loose weight. Two of these women have shared their medical reasons for their weight gain. Many of the symptoms sound amazingly like mine. So because we live in a rural area I had an incredibly hard time finding a doctor who could test me. I finally located one, had the blood work done and now am playing the waiting game. No matter what the results are I am happy that I got the blood work done so I have a starting point to look back on when I am thin, healthy and hot!
Now on to the exercise. Summer is a hard time to keep on track. You need to be dedicated - ninja like! I get going for 2 weeks, then go camping for a week and lose focus. Yes, I am still kayaking and hiking but not doing the every day 45 minute to an hour thing. This is where having friends comes in handy. They motivate and inspire. One girl posted something online that has stuck with me. She said to make an appointment with yourself. In other words- every morning at 7:30 I will exercise. I will not allow anything to change that. No facebook, no emails, no phone calls, no kids...REALITY is not that easy but I have decided to really try and stick to this. Walking at night with one of my favorite girls has really helped as well. We get to vent, laugh and push each other to succeed.
When I took a nutrition class at college this past semester I learned 2 really interesting things. Moving your biggest muscles (legs and arms) is the best way to lose weight. I don't have to spot train, I can literally just move and the weight should start coming off. The second is a study. One group of people walked for 10 minutes straight. One group sprinted for 30 seconds then rested for 4 minutes. They then sprinted for 30 seconds and rested for 4 minutes. (not walked, rested). The group that sprinted only needed to exercise for a total of 20 minutes a week to achieve the EXACT same results as the group that walked for hours! So, this being said, we are going to add some sprinting to our walks at night. Yes, I feel like my ass looks like two cats fighting under a blanket and I am very self conscience. I know that I look ridiculous running down the street but I'd rather look ridiculous for a 30 second sprint then for the rest of my life.
To recap-Get off the computer and exercise! Eat breakfast! Make an appointment with myself! Sprint during walking! Don't take a week off from exercise during camping! Believe in myself, because I CAN do this!
Have a great week- much love!

1 comment:

  1. Jess, I haven't seen these blogs! I love this one. It is so so true about the intensity of your exercise making a huge difference, that is the concept behind High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT workouts. You don't have to workout for hours and hours, just make it count! So proud of you and all you are accomplishing and setting an example for others.

    ReplyDelete