8.23.2012

Finally an answer!

I have finally gotten an answer to why my weight has ballooned. I went and got tested and several things have come to my attention. The first of which is that I have Hypothyroidism. A slow thyroid, which in turn causes a slow metabolism.The second is Insulin Resistance. Freaking Hell! It feels so good to know that I am not crazy and that this struggle I have been in for years really does have a medical reason. I was offered a medication to help me but I have chosen to TRY and change this with diet and exercise. If I can't change it in a month I will go on the medication and hope for the best.
I have cut out most sugars, starting with my drinks. No more sweet tea or soda (which was usually only in social occasions anyway) and my 2 a week iced coffee is a goner too. I have been really trying to up my water intake, keeping one with me at all times. I forget how much I love a good ice water...
As for the diet, this is going to hurt like hell. Because I don't eat breakfast I've been doing a protein shake in the morning and I can tell it's working because I now wake up hungry! I can't bring myself to eat food until at least 10 am but when I do it will be either eggs or fruit of some kind. I hate yogurt so that is out of the question. Any suggestions for a quick mid morning snack at work that has very little or no sugar and is easy to take with me would be great. Mainly, I just need to get to the grocery store a few times a week and eating healthy should be a breeze, it's just really expensive, which really irritates me. But I have to do it if I want to see results.
I bet you are wondering if I have lost any weight since I started this blog. The answer to that question is nope. In fact, I've gained 6 lbs. And this is exactly why weight loss has been such a battle for me. I get in the game in my head, work out, walk, drink more water, eat better, eat more often and then I gain weight, get pissed and quit. You say it's not possible, that I'm doing something wrong? Obviously I am, because I know women who eat a lot more than me who are tiny. I can't eat a 12 inch sub but my small girlfriends can ( I get full- the thought grosses me out). I can't eat a Big Mac yet they can eat a Big Mac and the fries! Is it my thyroid? When I was doing Weight Watchers she keep yelling at me to eat more! What the hell! More??!! I tried a meal delivery plan and when I called the help number she told me I wasn't eating enough to lose weight. That I had to eat all the fruits and veggies throughout the day plus the meals. I was like, are you kidding me? That is so much food, I'd have to eat all day. She told me that was the point. I guess I have to listen but I can tell you it's going to be a struggle. I inherited the habit of eating a big meal at lunch (no breakfast) and only a little dinner from my dad. My doc wants me to eat 6 times a day!! Who has time for that?!
It's time-I have to make the time and put in the effort-So like I said, I need suggestions for snacks and lunches I can take with me to work. (I do have a fridge available.)

I am not letting this set back stop me, I will lose this 90 lbs.(well, 96 now!).  And now I have my doc in my corner, and hopefully you too.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you finally have an answer. A very good step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete